Part Two: The land subdivision process

What is the process of a land subdivision?

Land Subdivision Process
Land Subdivision Process

This article is the first in a multipart series about How to do a land subdivision?

Part One: Feasibility of a land subdivision (beginner)
Part Two: The land subdivision process (beginner)
Part Three: Modelling feasibility in excel (medium)
Part Four: Modelling feasibility in Argus EstateMaster (expert)
Part Five: Selling lots in a land subdivision (beginner)

Completing a land subdivision can be quite tricky if you are not familiar with the process. All good land subdivisions start with adequately understanding the feasibility & planning considerations. 

The first step is to conduct high-level feasibility considering broad and general costs. From there, you need to engage a surveyor to prepare a survey plan and topographic map for your other specialists to use as a base. At this point, you want a draftsman to draw a preliminary subdivision layout. This process can take some time, and the size of your site will be a significant factor in determining the cost.

Depending on a variety of factors, you will require several specialist studies. These studies can include

  • Town Planning,
  • Aboriginal Archeology,
  • European Heritage,
  • Ecology,
  • Engineering [road, kerb, gutter, cut & fill], 
  • Stormwater Design, 
  • NBN Design, 
  • Bushfire, 
  • Contamination Reports (Stage 1 & 2), and 
  • Waste Management Plans.

Once complete, you will need a town planner to write a planning report known as a Statement of Environmental Effects. Click here to speak to a qualified town planner to get an estimate (this is quick and free).

Your town planner will lodge a development application with the relevant consent authority (most often the local council) and manage the authority’s objections and comments. On occasion, certain design features will require reworking. You will either receive an approval or a refusal. 

If you receive approval, you will need to engage an engineer to complete further engineering andservicesdesigns. Your town planner will lodge an application for a construction certificate, similar to the development application there may be reworking required. Once you have a construction certificate, you can commence civil work with your primary contractor. Most developers will engage a third-party project manager to ensure that the contractor is performing as agreed in the contract. This project management often takes the form of office work and site superintendence.

You will require certification from a principle certifying authority (PCA) and need to pay any outstanding statutory fees before you can receive a subdivision certificate. Your town planner should manage the application for a subdivision certificate. After receiving the subdivision certificate, you will need your surveyor to register the linen plan with Land Registry Services (LRS).

After you have had the linen plan processed by LRS, you may conclude sales and transfer the titles to the new owners of the subdivided lots.

If you need professional town planning advice or assistance in preparing a development application, please click here and an expert town planner will get in touch.



the pack wants stiles fanfiction, peter riley, sandra hicks patterson, is susan lee hoffman related to dustin hoffman, famous travel show presenters, f1 2021 car

Read More »

Contact the Author

Get Access to Original Research,
Data, & Planning Advice